PhD, Civil Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, Dec.1999.
MS, Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Cauca University, Popayan, Col. Dec. 1989.
BS, Civil Engineering, La Gran Colombia University, Bogota, Colombia, Dec. 1985.
- Professor, College of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering and Surveying, Transportation Area, Univ.of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez (UPRM), Jan. 2008 – Present
- Special Assistant to the Chancellor for International Affairs, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez (UPRM), Aug. 2016 – July 2017
- Director of Graduate School Office and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez (UPRM), Aug. 2015 – Aug. 2016
- Associate Professor, College of Engineering, Dept. of Civil Engineering and Surveying, Transportation Area, Univ. of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez (UPRM), Jan. 2003 –2008
- Assistant Professor, College of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering and Surveying, Transportation Area, UPRM, Jan. 1999 – 2003
- Research Assistant and Project Coordinator, Civil Engineering Department, The University of Texas at Austin, Jan. 1995 – Dec. 1998
- Instructor, College of Engineering, CE Dept., Transportation Area, UPRM, Feb. 1991 – Dec. 1994
- Instructor, Transportation & Ethics, Gran Colombia Univ., Bog., Col., Jan. – Dec. 1990
- Instructor, Transportation, Gran Colombia Univ., Bogota, Colombia, July 1987 June 1988
- Transportation Consultant for the PR Public Private Partnerships Authority, Jan 2011-2012
- Transportation Consultant for the PR Infrastructure Financing Authority, Jan 2007-2008
- Transportation Consultant for the PR Highway and Transp. Authority, Jan 2003-2004
Honors & Awards
- Award for Promoting Road Safety through Research as part of the 7th Anniversary of the Decade of Action for Road Safety in Puerto Rico. April 2018.
- Award in recognition for outstanding contribution and dedication in public and education outreach, research and creative endeavors. Research Academy, University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez, May 2016
- Mentorship Award for Dedication to the Institute of Transportation Engineers Student Association. Students Associations of Civil Engineering, 2010
- Ruiz B., Ruiz J., García R., Colón E., Valdés D.M., Colucci B., “Operational and Safety Performance of Signage and Pavement Markings Managed Lane Using a Driving Simulator” Transportation Research Board 98th Annual Meeting. Washington D.C., January 2018
- Valdés D.M., Colucci B., Knodler M., Fisher D., Ruiz B., Ruiz J., García R., Colón E., and Hajiseyedjavadi F., “A Comparative Analysis of Toll Plaza Safety Features in Puerto Rico and Massachusetts using a Driving Simulator” Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Washington D.C. 2017
- Jaramillo E., Valdés D.M., Maldonado F., and González A., “Developing a Framework for Approaching Construction Safety from an Ethical Standpoint” Proccedings of the Construction Research Congress 2016. San Juan, PR, June 2016.
- Valdes D.M., Colucci, B,. Fisher D., Colón E.M., García R.E., and Ruiz J. “Driving Simulation in the Safety and Operation Performance of the Freeway Toll Plazas” Transportation Research Board 95th Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C., January 2016.
- Valdes D.M., Colucci B., Fisher D., Valdés J., Colón E.M., García R.E., and Rivera J.M., “Operational and Safety-Based Analysis of Toll Plaza Signage using Driving Simulation” Road Safety and Simulation Conference 2015, Orlando, Florida, September 2015. International Journal Advances in Transportation Studies.
- Jaramillo E.C., Valdes D.M., and Torres P., “Percentile Curves from Generalized Linear Mixed Models for Strategic Planning” “Operational and Safety-Based Analysis of Toll Plaza Signage using Driving Simulation” Road Safety and Simulation Conference 2015, Orlando, Florida, September 2015.
- Gómez-Torres N.R., and Valdes-Díaz D.M., “Mobile Phones as Sensors in the Determination of the Components of a Trip Chain without User Input” 13th LACCEI Annual International Conference, July 2015, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- Valdes D.M., Cruz Y., Molina O., Gonzalez A. and Ortiz K. “Methodologies for the evaluation of infrastructure and operatrions in Freeways: Case Study PR-22” Dimension, Journal of the Professional College of Engineers and Land Surveyors, V4, 2011.
- Gomez-Torres N. and Valdes D.M. “GPS Capable Mobile Phones to Gather Traffic Data” Ninth International LACCEI Conference, Medellín, Colombia, August 2011.