Ext . 3454
PhD in Chemical Engineering, University of South Carolina, 2010
MS in Civil Engineering (Environmental), University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez 1999
BS in Chemical Engineering, University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez, 1997
- Univ. P. Rico-Mayaguez, Associate Professor, 2016 – present (full time)
- Univ. P. Rico-Mayaguez, Assistant Professor, 2012 – 2016 (full time)
- Univ. P. Rico-Mayaguez, Assistant Professor, 2010 – 2012 (non-tenure track position)
- Univ. S. Carolina, Research and Teaching Assistant, 2006 – 2010 (full time)
- Pfizer Pharmaceuticals LLC, Process Engineer II / Material Specialist, 2002–05 (full time)
- Lilly del Caribe, Inc., Environmental Technical Services Engineer, 1999–2001 (full time)
Honors & Awards
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship
- NSF- South Eastern Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate Fellowship
- Honeywell Fellowship
- Puerto Rico Industrial Development Company Fellowship
- Saffar A, Tarafa PJ, Suarez OM, Rivera-Santos J. Hybrid multimedia-filter prototype for the degradation of trihalomethanes precursors and pathogens control from raw waters. MS Thesis, UPRM (2018)
- Aviles A, Hernandez C, Ambrose J, Suarez OM, Tarafa PJ. Degradation of atrazine with titanium dioxide immobilised in compact recycled glass. J. Environ. Eng. Sci. 12 (2017)
- Tarafa PJ, Arias S, Colon V, Perez J., Suarez OM. Immobilization of TiO2 nanoparticles on sintered, crushed glass for the degradation of humic acid. 15th LACCEI International Multi-Conference for Engineering, Education and Technology (2017).
- Arias S, Tarafa PJ, Suarez OM, Hwang S. Evaluation of Different Immobilization Techniques of TiO2 Particles in Sintered Glass Substrate (SGS) for the Degradation of Humic Acid Solutions. MS Thesis, UPRM (2017).
- Aviles A, Tarafa PJ, Suarez OM, Hwang S. Immobilization of titanium dioxide in crushed recycled glass for atrazine photo-degradation. MS Thesis, UPRM (2016)
- Matthews MA and Tarafa PJ, Removal of bacterial endotoxins, US Patent US9296981B2, filed August 3, 2010, and issued March 29, 2016.
- Rodriguez JM, Tarafa PJ, Papadopoulos C, Hwang S. Treatability study of an intermittent biosand filter for reduction of Escherichia coli and Enterococcus.MS Thesis, UPRM (2015).
- Rodriguez JM, Hernandez B, Tarafa PJ, Papadopoulos C, Hwang S. Development of a procedure and apparatus to quantify pathogen reduction throughout an intermittent biosand filter. 7th Intern. Perspective on Water Resources & the Envir. Proc. (2014).
- Pollution Prevention and Best Management Practices for Municipal Stormwater Discharges in Accordance to the EPA General Permit for MS4. Cataño, PR., Aug 2018.
- Illegal Discharge Detection and Elimination for MS4. Seminar given at the PR Board of Engineers and Surveyors, Mayaguez Chapter. Aug 2018.
- Operation and Maintenance of MS4 and Detection of Illegal Discharges. Seminar given at the PR Board of Engineers and Surveyors, Ponce Chapter. Mar 2018.
- Modification of TiO2 nanoparticles with iron ions for effective photoactivation under visible light. IX Simposyum of Energy and Environment, Caguas, PR, Feb 2018.
- Hybrid multimedia-filter prototype (HMP) for the degradation of organic matter and pathogens control from raw waters. IX Simposyum of Energy and Environment, Caguas, PR, Feb 2018.
- Portable sand filter: An alternative to treat water at home. Water Treatment and Sanitation Workshop. UPR-Medical Sciences Campus, Rio Piedras, PR. Nov 2017
- Effect of dissolved oxygen and microbial activity mechanisms on Escherichia coli and Enterococcus reduction through an intermittent biosand filter. 10th Chemical Engineering World Congress, Barcelona, Spain. Oct 2017.
- Fe(III)-Doped TiO2 Nanoparticles Photoactivated Under Visible Light, Research Experience for Undergraduates in Reconfigurable & Multifunctional Soft Materials Poster Session. UPR-Mayagüez. Aug 2017.
- A Study of Various TiO2 Doping Methods with Fe (III) for Use in the Photocatalytic Degradation of Atrazine. Presented at the Research Experience for Undergraduates in Reconfigurable & Multifunctional Soft Materials Poster Session. UPRM, Aug 2017.
- Pollution prevention and best management practices for stormwater discharges. Seminar given at the PR Board of Engineers and Surveyors, Hato Rey, PR. Jun 2017
- Degradation of atrazine with TiO2 nanoparticles immobilized in crushed recycled glass. Ines Maria Mendoza High School, Cabo Rojo, PR. Nov 2016.
- Increased beach monitoring for fecal indicator bacteria in Rincón and Añasco,Caribbean Coastal Ocean Observing System (CariCOOS), Apr 2016.
- Micro- and nanosized titanium dioxide particles immobilized in sintered recycled glass for the degradation of trihalomethane precursors from surface waters, 2nd Conference on Water Resource Sustainability Issues on Tropical Islands, Honolulu, HI, Dec 2015.
- Sintered recycled glass functionalized with micro- and nanosized TiO2 particles for the degradation of THM precursors from waters. PRWEA Annual Conference, Oct 2015.