The Department’s Mission:
The Geology Department will develop in each student, critical thinking, enthusiasm, initiative, and the necessary skills to become lifelong students of Earth Sciences. Emphasis will be placed on learning basic concepts and techniques through research in an environment that promotes the development of professionals with social, cultural, and humanistic sensibility as well as profound ethical values. In this way, the department will contribute to the enrichment of science and society through the creation and dissemination of new knowledge through scientific research. The specific objectives of the Geology Department are:
- Prepare students for professional positions in industry and government and for careers in academic research and teaching.
- Increase awareness of Earth and Environmental Sciences in liberal arts, education, and other science majors.
- Educate engineers in the geological concepts integral to competent engineering practices.
- Establish the Department of Geology as the center for research in Caribbean Earth and Environmental Sciences.
- Develop a greater awareness of Earth Sciences in the general public through outreach programs.
The Department’s Vision:
The Geology Department of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez seeks to provide the highest levels of education through continuous revision and expansion of our educational, research, and outreach programs in order to produce well-trained, competent, academic, and professional geoscientists capable of responding to societal needs.