Chemical Engineer in Research and Development at Sandia National Laboratories Apply at careers.sandia.gov
Applications are invited for a staff position in the Fluid/Thermal Experimental Engineering Sciences group at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Within the Engineering Sciences Center, our experimental research activities are focused on the development of advanced diagnostic techniques and fundamental experiments to quantify physical phenomena and material properties. We also seek to use the skills and expertise developed through our research activities to impact Sandia’s core mission. The candidate will contribute to an experimental program performing research, development and application work in the area of complex fluids. Current areas of interest include multiphase fluids such as foams, emulsions and suspensions, polymer gels, epoxies and molten metals and phenomena ranging from wetting, flow, transport mechanics and adhesion. Candidates are expected to have a broad understanding of basic fluid mechanics and non-Newtonian behaviors as well as various experimental methods to discover, understand and quantify behaviors. Research is supported at a wide range of levels from fundamental research on model systems and development of new experimental methods to support for complex real world problems. Staff members must be able to contribute as part of collaborative teams, but also independently directing research projects. Candidates are expected to be flexible and be able to build on broad foundational knowledge to contribute in new technical areas. A successful candidate will be work with laboratory staff at all levels to conceive and conduct experimental research. He or she is expected to contribute at scientific conferences and publish in peer-reviewed journals.
How to Apply
Apply at careers.sandia.gov
Job Description : R&D S&E, Chemical Engineer SE
Applies integrated technical judgment–which requires using the scientific method to recognize and formulate problems, to collect data through observation and experimentation, and to formulate and test hypotheses–to anticipate, innovate, and deliver solutions to Sandia National Laboratories missions. Roots the work in the fundamentals of science and engineering while applying a deep understanding of engineering and scientific principles. Creates and applies scientific theories and laws and engineering methods used within scientific and engineering disciplines to develop or demonstrate new designs, concepts, materials, machines, products, processes, or systems. Uses physical and computational simulation, analysis, and evaluation as inherent activities of development. Plans, conducts, and manages Sandia’s scientific programs from fundamental research through development and demonstration.
Designs equipment and develops processes for manufacturing or decomposing chemicals and related products and materials using the principles and technology of chemistry, physics, mathematics, engineering, and related physical, and natural sciences. Develops new and improved chemical manufacturing processes; designs chemical control and measurement systems; performs chemical sampling and measurement; and determines most effective unit operation.
Primary Job Duties
* Plans, conceives, conducts, or manages research and development for Sandia’s customers and sponsors.
* Directs systematic study toward a fuller knowledge or understanding of the fundamental aspects of phenomena and of observable facts, and discovers new approaches to achieve goals.
* Creates new understandings and capabilities by using the scientific method’s hypothesis, test, and evaluation techniques; critical review; or similar engineering research and development methods.
* Initiates, designs, develops, executes, and evaluates new processes, products, or systems through basic and applied research.
* Uses engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, theories, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions.
* Undertakes development and possible technology transfer of solutions, products, principles or technology.
* Undertakes creative work, making systematic use of investigation or experimentation, to discover or revise knowledge of reality, and uses this knowledge to devise new applications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Technical knowledge and competencies appropriate to the position.
* Thorough knowledge of and applied experience with scientific and engineering methods and with the discipline’s standards for the ethical conduct of research.
* Thorough knowledge of and experience with designing, planning, and executing research, design, and development projects.
* Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with implementing Sandia policies affecting research, design, and development activities, projects, or initiatives.
* Demonstrated ability to team across disciplines.
– A PhD in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or a closely related field.
– A demonstrated capability to conduct experimental research.
– Self-motivation and strong oral and verbal communication skills.
– The candidate must also be able to qualify for and maintain a DOE security clearance.
Laboratory experience in one or more of the following areas is desired:
– fluid mechanics,
– laser diagnostics,
– wetting and adhesion
– microscopy and image analysis
– rheological characterization and analysis of materials
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications.
Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance if required for a position. Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for employment including access to classified information or matter.
Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Sandia is a Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory; as such, many of our jobs require a DOE security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If this position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance, U.S. citizenship and employee eligibility for clearance processing will be required at the time of hire.
If you hold dual citizenship and you accept a job offer for a position that requires a DOE-granted security clearance, you will be asked by DOE to renounce your foreign citizenship and retain only your U.S. citizenship.
Sandia National Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Job Title: R&D S&E, Chemical Engineer Senior Career Level
Job ID: 640756
Location: Albuquerque, NM