The English Department, which exists in an academic environment where English is a second language, addresses the needs of all students who are admitted into the UPRM. It directs its efforts toward the development of educated, responsible, and cultured citizens and professionals in all areas, with a focus on fields related to English Studies, primarily those involved with the study of Linguistics and Literature. Graduates of department programs will be qualified to contribute in an effective manner to the social, cultural, and economic development of Puerto Rico and the world at large. The department focuses its efforts and initiatives equally in three fundamental areas: instruction, research, and service to the university community.
• Award the degree of B.A. in English with a specialization in Linguistics and/or Literature.
• Award a degree of M.A. in English Education or English Literature.
• Teach communication skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing at all levels from basic to graduate.
• Encourage a socio-humanistic outlook.
• Strengthen research skills and foster a positive attitude towards research that will provide useful information in the field of English studies.
• Promote expertise in skills involving analysis, interpretation, and evaluation.
• Provide a foundation for advanced study in English studies.