This computer is running with an operating system called Ubuntu (version 9.10), which has the following advantages:
- It makes more efficient use of the computer’s resources– that is, it starts up and runs faster.
- It is virus-free by design and is incompatible with the many viruses that attack Windows computers.
- Ubuntu is free and open source, which means that you can download it and install it in your own computers, if interested.
Differences Between Ubuntu and Windows:
- Microsoft Office files (Word, Excel, Power Point) will open in Open Office and should function with minimal or no compatibility issues.
- CDs, DVDs, and movie files will open in VLC Media Player.
- Firefox is the default Web browser.
- The “start menu” is on the top left corner of the computer.
Startup and Shutdown Procedure:
- Turn on computer.
- Select “Faculty” as the user. The password is etc+(the usual password).
- Use and enjoy.
- The shutdown button is on the top right hand corner of the desktop.
If you have any questions or need help with this computer, contact Leonardo Flores at Extension 3608 or by e-mail: email@example.com.